Thursday, September 11, 2008

You are what you eat


Living here, it is clear that it is a lifestyle change. I feel that our family is more active and enjoying nature. I also feel that our diet has changed significantly. A few months ago my sister-in-law Heidi sent me a link to a site that had pictures of what typical families from around the world purchased in regards to groceries for their families in a month. Here is the link found on NPR: What the World Eats.

I decided that I would lay out what types of foods we eat on a weekly basis. What you will see is an array of vegetables (corn, carrots, zuchini, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans), grapes, bananas, apples, olives, pickles, cheese (all cheese is white here including cheddar by the way), chicken, pork, sausages, salad, milk, apple juice, water, rivella (green tea beverage), beer, bread, and yogurt. The first thing that I noticed while doing this experiment is the absence really of three things: processed food, red meat, and pop. If they say that you are what you eat, my family is on the right track.

No comments: