Friday, January 9, 2009

Geno's Second Day at the Beehive Preschool


Geno's second day of preschool went well considering that today he ran after me out the door and had the saddest pouty face that could make any mother break down and weep. It was so hard to just turn around and keep walking, but I knew this is what I had to do. As Nick keeps saying to me, "Be strong." As we were pulling out of the parking lot, Coretta told me to look back in the window, which I did, and noticed Geno standing there no longer crying and interacting with a little boy his age. This made me feel better.

When I went to pick him up at 12:30 pm, I peeked in to see that it was story time. I opened the gate and proceeded to try and find my son. To no avail, I couldn't find him, and thought that he must be somewhere else with another teacher. When story time was just about over, I glanced over to see my little Geno sitting quietly and contently listening to the story. I actually had to do a double take. My two year old son, sitting on a chair, not throwing it, quietly listening? It was quite amazing.

When he saw me this time, he ran to me and gave me a big hug. The teachers came over and told me that Geno is doing exceptionally well for being new and just turning two. They stated that he is very cooperative, listens, but is shy and not quite ready to completely socialize with the other children. He does inquisitively observe the other kids still taking it all in. She states that this will change with time, and I agree. There aren't any other little people for Geno to socialize with at home that aren't stuffed, so this is so good for him socially. It sounds to me that he has the demeanor of his father which is quiet, shy, and a deep thinker. Nothing wrong with that!

No comments: