Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Geno's First Day of Preschool







Today was Geno's first day of preschool. When he awoke, he was all smiles. For breakfast he had some muffins and milk and then he got dressed. Although he didn't really know what was in store for him on this day, he did exceptionally well. Wish I could say the same for his Mom who was crying her eyes out even before we got there.

Once in there, I had regained my composure for as not to embarrass myself or make Geno worried. When we walked in, Geno was holding both Coretta and Nick's hand and looking up at them as if to say, "What are we doing here guys?" After putting his belongings in his bin and putting his slippers on, we entered into the learning area. It is so great to walk into a school environment where all kids are engaged and well behaved. It reminded me a lot of Coretta's experience at the Montessori School in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Once we met his teacher, we decided to make a quick exit as not to create unnecessary duress for Geno in this new environment. As we turned around to leave, he ran after us. He wasn't crying at all thankfully, more like uncertain of what was happening. The teacher scooped him up in her arms and out the door we went.

Once in the car, I broke down and cried again. I know that it is silly, but there is definitely a bond a mother has with her child. And in Geno's case, I have been at home with him since the day he was born which makes this separation equally hard.

When I picked Geno up at 12:30, he was content and happy. He was sitting in conversation with his teacher. They stated that he had a great day. They sang songs, danced, had story time, and painted. She said that Geno was a little curious about the paint and decided to just pull up a chair and observe.

I knew he would thrive in this environment and know that he needs more friends than Mom and Winnie the Pooh. This was made even clearer to me when I arrived to pick him up and he smiled, but ran towards the kids as if he wanted to stay. Needless to say, it was a very successful and positive experience at the Beehive Preschool.

Here's a Preschool video created by Coretta:

No comments: