Thursday, March 12, 2009

My trip to Mount Pilatus with my Parents








The day before my parents were scheduled to fly back to the United States, I decided to take them up to Mount Pilatus for some fresh mountain air. Although the weather was not completely ideal, it was still a great experience.

Geno, Dad, Mom, and I jumped in the car and drove to Mount Pilatus at 10 am and started our ascension up the mountain. Here you start with a smaller gondola and then take a bigger gondola to the top. Never in a million years did I ever think I could get my Mom up into a cable car attached only to a cable, but I did, and she loved it. The views up to the mountain were beautiful and had aerial views of mountains, lakes, and villages.

While boarding onto the second gondola, my parents lost their tickets. In order to proceed to the gondola, you need these. My Mom decided she would just jump the fence until I showed her that this would be a 100 franc fine. We then made sure to get them two new tickets. Thank God for receipts and proof of sale.

Once up to the top of Mount Pilatus, there was lots of snow and blowing snow. We proceeded though the carved out mountain path that resembles a cave where we had great views and learned a little dragon mythology. It was said that many years ago, the Swiss people would not dare to venture into the mountains because of the evil spirits and dragons they believed lurked in those parts of the region. It wasn't until the British came and wanted to venture into the mountains that the Swiss started making it accessible by trains, gondolas, and cogwheel trains. In fact, one of the steepest cogwell trains is on your ascension to Mount Pilatus.

After our tour, we decided to have lunch at the restaurant that is shaped in a circular tower that is attached to the mountain. We ate German veal bratwurst with french fries and enjoyed the panoramic views. It was a great end to a very memorable trip with my parents.

No comments: