Friday, August 21, 2009

Geno's first week back at the Beehive Preschool















I wish that I could report that his transition back to school was flawless and easy, but nothing could be farther from the truth. The first day, he would go in, play with the toys and cars, and I would quietly sneak out, but as the week progressed, Geno was crying 6 blocks away from school saying "I wanna go home. Mommy home!!" I have tried everything I can think of to assuage his fears, but nothing seems to work. Now when I bring him to school, I have to try pry to him off of me, and leave him crying at the top of his lungs in the arms of his teacher while he continues to reiterate, "Mommy, I wanna go home!!"

I know that this is just many of the transitions that little children go through. Logically I understand this, but emotionally it is hard. He seems to associate school with a loss of his Mom and beloved sister. The teachers say he transitions a little while at school, but continually mumbles, Mommy, home. Tomorrow beach."

His speech therapist came to visit with him and his teachers this week as well. His speech therapist is very hopeful in Geno's progress and now with the school, the therapist, and me all working together, I think Geno will be at age level in his language development by the time he starts kindergarten.

I hope that week two will be a little easier for my little man, and for me.

No comments: