Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Turning 35...




Today is the day that I turn thirty-five years old. Thirty-five. Some people (like my sister Erin) would call this over the hill, time for a mid-life crisis, or just plain old. I guess getting older has never been a problem for me. I guess with age, comes wisdom, and with wisdom comes knowledge and understanding of life experiences and their purpose in order for us to grow into the destined individuals we were meant to be.

I have never been a person who is afraid of gray hair and wrinkles. I guess I am more afraid of not meeting my own expectations I have set for myself. Looking at my life so far, I am proud of where I am and who I am. I have two beautiful children, a loving and supportive husband who gives me the room to grow and the nurturing that I need. I have great friends, great family, and great memories. The older I become, the more comfortable I am in my own skin. I think that is the most important. You have to love who you are, or at least like who you are, most of the time to be truly happy.

Today when I woke up, Nick and Coretta had some beautiful gifts waiting for me. Coretta and Nick went shopping and chose the most exquisite perfume for me. They also bought me a book, and Nick gave me a girls' weekend package where I will stay at the Hawthorne Suites in Duluth, Minnesota with some of my closest friends, possibly go to the spa, and relax. Relax. That has always been hard for me. As a mother of two, as many of you know, you live your life trying to make sure that your children/husband are provided for, nurtured, loved, happy. Many times we tend to forget about ourselves and what we need to replenish our spirit, our souls. This is why Nick's gift to me is so important. After 10 years of marriage, there hasn't ever been a time when my loving husband hasn't known exactly what I needed. He even created me a movie that highlights the children's journey together that was very touching and moving as well. Tonight we are going out for Thai food (which is my favorite) and Nick even bought me a cake!

Today as I reflect on who I am and where I am and where I will go, I am so privileged to have such a loving and supportive husband to make that journey with. I love you Nick...always and forever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.