Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sledding in Zugerberg Today



Today we decided to head up to Zugerberg, located in Zug, for some sledding. We arrived around 11:00 am and parked the car, and proceeded to make it to the train that takes you to the top of the mountain. This train is reclined, somewhat like a cogwheel train.

Once to the top, Nick and Geno jumped on their wooden sled, while Coretta tried to persuade me to go down the mountain with her. I told her that I would promise to do it the next time, which would give me some time, since it takes at least 20 minutes to get down the mountain. While they did that, I decided to hike in the mountains and take some pictures.

I then proceeded to meet them where they would be, and get on the wooden sled and go down the mountain. The older I get, the less of a risk-taker I become, so this was hard for me. What if I lose control of the sled? What if I fall over the cliff? What if someone bumps into me? How bad will I get hurt? are all questions coming to my mind at this moment.

Once down the hill, I felt a liberating feeling come over me. The smooth gliding of the sled on the snow, the scenery, the quiet. Quickly I experienced what it was like to go fast, out of control, and fend for myself which means I needed to learn quick how to move the sled right, left, and stop. They have several bumps strategically placed on the course with patches of ice around the corners of the road. It's like nascar on ice.

We made our way back to the cogwheel train, that brings us back to the mountain to do it all over again. This time Geno and Nick went down together. Geno, who used to be afraid of sledding last year, has become quite the adventurer. He and Nick were going down the hill, and he is screaming, "Faster! Faster!" At one point, they actually hit the boards of the side of the cliff, and Geno loving every minute of it. Even when he almost fell off he was laughing and having a good time.

Coretta then decided to stay later with Sophia, and Evelina while Nick, Geno, and I went home. What a wonderful experience that has taught me that losing some control can be a good thing.

No comments: